Michael Tronick is a feature film editor who edited Suicide Squad, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, Straight Outta Compton plus many other movies you probably watched and loved. His career spans close to 40 years, not just as a picture editor but also as a music editor. In this episode, I get to speak with Michael and learn how he got to where he is at today, what he loves the most about the business, how he goes about editing a feature film, dealing with the politics in a Studio environment, what it was like to work with Brad and Angelina in Mr. & Mrs. Smith, plus much more!
- An overview of Michael’s extensive editing career.
- Music editors and composers in the post production process.
- The difference between a music editor and a picture editor.
- The intricacies of editing a feature film.
- Who Michael looks up to the most.
- Where Michael gets his inspiration from.
- An overview of Michael’s editing workflow.
- Working with Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie in Mr. & Mrs. Smith.
- Tips on adding music to a scene.
- The balance between being artistic, technical and politics.
- How the success of the previous movie affects getting his next gig.
- How Michael get’s his editing gigs.
- Leveraging the Internet and working with people across the globe.
- Challenges and tips for dealing with a large crew.
- What Michael misses from the old days of filmmaking.
- Michael’s future plans and pursuits.